Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Lady luck please let the dice stay hot

I'm sad to say I'm still feeling exhausted since my last post, and I haven't yet figured out why I'm not sleeping properly. Nevertheless, I am still prodding on with life because I know that things won't hold off until I get a decent night's sleep. My worst day/night was last Friday. I had last weekend off work, so I was looking forward to some much needed time with my bed and pillow. How little did I know I would be wrong. Very wrong indeed.

PRi's company Christmas party was also last Saturday at the Fairmont Hotel MacDonald, and as her guest, I was super excited to be going. I had never been there despite living in Edmonton for over 17 years. PRi and I decided to take advantage of the group rate and stay overnight Saturday and indulge in Sunday brunch. It was a mini-vacation, and I loved it! Friday night came, and although I was very tired and went to bed early, I did not sleep. I'm sure you've had those nights where it seems as if you got a hour of sleep, and spent the night tossing and turning. I know I have, but this night was different. I was awake and spent the night moving from my bed to the couch in a valiant effort to fall asleep somewhere.

Needless to say, by the time PRi and I got to the Christmas party, I had been up for 28 hours. Despite every ounce of my body aching to find a comfortable bed to curl up on, PRi and I headed down to the ballroom for the party.

I am extremely glad that I still went to the party, because I wasn't disappointed. The hotel was spectacular! It was like stepping into a different time and place, forgetting that you were on Jasper Ave in the middle of winter. I was impressed with everything, and therefore headed to the party in a great mood. The party itself was fantastic, from the hotel staff, to the food, to the people actually celebrating. I knew some of the people who were there, so I didn't feel completely out of place. There were a lot of laughs, and generally everyone had a great time. I opted out on most of the coveted cheesecake, though, simply for the fact that I had the same ones in my freezer. But otherwise had a fantastic time.

During the night, there were draws for door prizes. PRi and I joked about some of the prizes and how we would end up with the signed Oilers hat that wouldn't go with my Smitty jersey, or the gun scope that neither of us would use, or the golf shirts that PRi has hanging in her room somewhere. I missed out on the draw for PRi's prize, however, because I had decided to skip out on the dance, and head to bed. At 33 and a half hours awake, I was getting delusional, not to mention a serious headache that PRi's pharmacy of drugs couldn't cure. So I went upstairs to the suite we had reserved, and promptly fell solidly asleep.

Until 4:30am.

I then awoke to find PRi tossing and turning in her bed much like I have been the previous....many days. She proceeded to tell me she hasn't fallen asleep yet, but may have had an explanation for this. You see, PRi's door prize ticket was the last to be drawn, and so therefore she won the grand prize. A trip for two to Vegas! Fully awake now, we both laughed ourselves silly at the thought of the prize. I asked her what hotel were we going to stay at....but does it really matter? Then I laughed again, saying that ~assuming~ I was going, I wanted to have a Paris buffet. oops. PRi laughed at me..."of course you are going, didn't you hear me that WE are going to Vegas?" LOL

Not that I was already planning to go this year :):)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home