Thursday, January 03, 2008

The obligatory post

Another year has come and gone, and though I've done my best to forget this fact, I still find myself looking back at what 2007 brought....and what it meant. I swore last year that I wouldn't go making New Year's resolutions, and I don't intend to right now, and besides, that's not what this post is all about.

I had said before that I don't like New Years all that much. I originally wasn't going to explain, but for some reason or another, I feel compelled to put my thoughts and feelings out there, no matter how silly or childish or stupid they seem. This is my blog. This is why I write. I can't tell you when I started to feel this way about ringing in a new year. It seems to be rather confusing when you think about it.....wouldn't you think that a new year also means a new beginning...a new start on life? You get a new perspective on things, swear to yourself that you would fill your life with hope and happiness, and to seize the day. But then what happens?

Why not treat every single day like it was New Year's day? Every day should be worth living, not just one day out of the year.

And so here I am, contradicting my opinion. Well, not really. Looking back at 2007 doesn't necessarily mean that I am a hypocrite. Or maybe it does. No point on worrying about that now.

Last year I talked about not making resolutions for the year, but make them for every day. Instant results....who wouldn't want that? By taking this on, I learned a lot about who I am and who I could be. Strange, really. Did I unconsciously make a resolution not to make them, and in so doing, made a resolution that lead to self-discovery? Somehow I think so. In the process of not making a resolution for the upcoming year, I ended up thinking more about the present. I stopped worrying about a lot of things I couldn't control. I took time for myself when I could, but still shouldered a lot of responsibility. This last point is one I am very proud of. It's not often you'll hear me say I'm proud of myself, but I am learning to do that too. I'm beginning to balance my life in a way that makes me happy...though there is always room for improvement hahahaha.....

For example, the profession I am in is a stressful one. I am always learning, always trying to improve myself, always trying to be safe, and always trying to keep the passion that I have for it alive. But I can't live and breathe work. Another part of me needs to get out and play. So what have I done to satisfy this? I have travelled. A lot. So maybe the NBA All-Star weekend wasn't the best time to go to Vegas...and arriving at O'Hare airport on Thanksgiving was ridiculous....and despite the dollar being so good, Toronto cost me a pretty penny. But the memories I had with friends and family at my side, and what I felt is worth more than I can ever say. At the beginning of last year, I would have been really hard on myself for taking so many trips. I've grown up a bit more now. I'm investing in RRSPs and a pension, and moved into an apartment after swallowing my pride and realizing I shouldn't buy a condo right now.

So here's to another year of not making resolutions, but to continue to explore the person I am and who I am becoming....and to never stop living.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home