Saturday, December 01, 2007

Holiday Spirit

I love Christmas. In fact, it's practically the only thing I look forward to during the winter. Christmas carols, Christmas decorating, Christmas cheer....just about everything. Though I think that Halloween is too early to begin to think about Christmas shopping and such, I eagerly await the first weekend in December to put up my tree and turn on the Boney M and Bing Crosby.

So for this being the first of December, I had planned to get up early and head over to mom's for brunch and tree decorating. It's a ritual, really. The sifting through a large assortment of boxes to find the lights and ornaments, the rearranging of furniture to accommodate the tree, the hundreds (and I mean hundreds) of lights all down the hallway so we can figure out which strings to use. Last year we bought LEDs, but we still had to plug them all in. Of course when the lights go on the tree, you have to stand far away and squint your eyes so you can see where you need to add more. Good times.


This year is the first year with my very own Christmas tree, so mom came over after we decorated her house and we started our ritual all over again. She gave me the angel tree topper that she has had for many many years to put on my tree, and although the lights behind her don't work anymore, she still had to be there. I'm very happy with my tree. It has everything I think a Christmas tree needs. Lots of lights, lots of love, lots of memories.

I took a number of ornaments I have had since I was little, along with ones my grandmother had made and ones my aunt had on her tree, and added them to my new ornaments I brought home from Chicago. Jo and I probably spent an hour in that Christmas store...I could have bought everything! I couldn't believe the amount of Christmas spirit I experienced after Thanksgiving. "Have a happy Black Friday" turned out to be more than just the shopping, it was a perfect excuse to decorate everything and spread the Christmas cheer. As much as Jo (and possibly Eric?) thought the Christmas concert last Sunday was ridiculous, I enjoyed the kids behind me singing along with the carols. Kids have the right idea I think.
"'Maybe Christmas,' he thought, 'doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!'"


1 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Blogger 'Nita said...

Pretty tree!
I *heart* Christmas as well. =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home