Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Lessons learned

Mom and I went to the University today for lunch...and to get my hair cut. I decided to take her out for lunch before dropping her off at work to keep her mind off things today. You see, it's been 6 years since my aunt passed away, and today is a hard day to get through if you are my mom. So off to HUB we go and brave the 12:00 crowds to decide what to eat. Neither of us are hungry, really, so we split a Philly cheese steak sandwich from Bar Teca, and an A&W root beer.
No Edo this time (hi Jo!), but the line was long as always.

I contemplated on how things have changed in my life over the last 6 years. Sometimes you wonder if things have ever changed in my life when you read some pretty lame entries I have done, but whatever. So if I only have something lame to say that day....so be it. But it doesn't matter what I have to say sometimes, as long as I am living my life. I guess I started thinking while people-watching in HUB. It really didn't matter what has happened in my life. All that matters is how I feel I have lived. Could I have done something different? Sure. Have I "seized the day"? Most times. Have I learned anything? Of course. And not just edumacation learning like the people I watched bustling to their classes...but learning on how to live better. Anywho here's my list of things I have learned......
  • Always take the opportunity to tell someone that you love them
  • Hug often. You'll make someone's day
  • Pet your dog or cat. It lowers your blood pressure.
  • Listen to kids sing your childhood songs. It will put a smile on your face. (down by the bay/where the watermelons grow...)
  • Watch little kids play hockey at every chance you get
  • Watch the faces of moms and dads whose kids are playing hockey
  • Indulge in your own personal spa.......aromatherapy hand lotion works wonders
  • Have someone wash your hair
  • Take a spontaneous trip somewhere....doesn't have to be exotic or expensive....just as long as it's out of the city. Take someone with you. Or go alone and relax.
  • Listen to the birds sing. Appreciate the fact that you can hear...even if the birds are magpies and you are hearing them at 5:00am.
  • Enjoy the sun. Wear sunscreen, drink plenty of water, and GO OUTSIDE
  • Go barefoot. Experience the sand, grass, mud, warmed concrete, anything
  • Cry. Crying cleanses the soul. You sleep way better after a good cry
  • Sing out loud while driving...who cares if the person beside you thinks you are an idiot
  • During a thunderstorm, sit by an open window, turn off everything, and listen. Then watch the rainbow being born
  • Laugh. Laugh at everything...movies, cartoons, comics, yourself. Laughter really is the best medicine.

And the list can go on and on. I left one of the most important things until the end. Or at least I believe it is one of the most important. Who cares if you have laugh lines and crow's feet? It means that your heart is happy and you shared your laughter with others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home