Monday, September 10, 2007

A new leaf?

Some things exhilarate your senses, leaving you breathless. And no, I'm not talking dirty. I mean the feeling you get when you dive head first into the ocean, experience spicy cuisine, lay your eyes on new and majestic scenery, etc. But some things can invigorate your mind and soul, though ordinary they may seem.

In attempt to organize myself lately, I have stumbled across this very phenomenon. I have a rather large collection of papers or documents strewn about my house, and since I have inherited my dad's pack-rat tendencies, none of these papers have been touched in years. I mean years. I still had French notes from elementary school, empty and somewhat crumpled music folders from junior high, and full subject binders from McNally. PRi and I had a good laugh when I found Bismarck and Napoleon notes, half-finished scribbled letters (lists?) to Sheena, and analyzation attempts on Edgar Allen Poe that may have been decorated in pink balloons......
After setting our focus back on actually doing something about this mess, I found it rather refreshing to chuck everything into a recycle pile. Sounds kind of nerdy, I know. I had forgotten that I had thrown everything in a large TV box and shoved it in a corner of my basement. Not until I went looking for my 3 toasters, glassware, and nursing books to sort through did I find the hidden gems of my school years. Some things I ended up keeping in the end (mostly binders and loose leaf, but also my "calendrier" and that dragon Andy and I "lost" at Bird's Hill Park).

After a short bout of mourning for my past destined for recycling, I felt accomplished, and somewhat energized at the prospect of clearing out some of the clutter that has been weighing me down. I spent the better part of my day today sifting through old bank statements, tax returns, pay stubs from 2001, and student loan documents. It took a lot of effort to not wander into Ikea and buy all the storage items and furniture that I saw yesterday. Instead, I settled for a file organizer from Staples in which my smaller pile of papers got sorted.

During this sorting, a new me slowly came out today. A me who is slightly more practical, though still spontaneous. A me whose "gold" sometimes outweighs the "blue-orange". A me who is focusing a little more on the future instead of the now. It's scary finding this new person within me. Is it all part of growing up? Maybe. I'd still like to think that there is room for the old me as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home