Tuesday, September 04, 2007

feeling a bit humbled

Shopping is a humbling experience. You've put on some weight so the sizes you once wore don't fit quite right. Your credit card gets maxed out causing you to return some items. You fight with sale-seeking coupon-cutting back-to-school-shopping hormone-oozing grabby people for the only piece of clothing in the store that you liked. The thrill of buying something new is sometimes marred by terrible encounters, and yet can open up a whole new perspective on things.

Such was the case last week, when PRi and I decided to go condo hunting. Though some details still needed to be worked out, and finalization of the mortgage still needed to happen, we braved the notorious housing market with our realtor to test the waters of available accommodations that fit our budget. I don't think neither of us were really expecting to actually buy something right away, but looking to see what was out there gave us an idea of what to expect. We had seen 5 different (and I mean different) apartment-style condos on the south side of the city in our price range.

The most affordable being very small, but needing little work was the first to be seen. Not bad to rent, but I wouldn't have bought. Though lacking in storage space, fridge, and dishwasher, the condo had new laminate flooring and access to an indoor swimming pool. I drew the line, however, at the coin-operated laundry room down the hall. If I'm going to buy my own place, I'd like to be able to wash my clothes in my own place. The rest of the condos we looked at had similar pros and cons.......the cons unfortunately outweighing the pros. How those people wanting to sell their places will ever get offers I will never know.

All in all it left both PRi and I feeling humbled and poor, but interestingly enough opened our eyes to what was available and what we could do about it. Downhearted, a late Denny's dinner was in order to discuss our shopping experience, and both of us decided it was not worth risking our friendship to continue looking at this moment in time. Maybe in the spring, when the market slows down, and we sort out our finances and responsibilities.....but not right now. In the mean time, I had been toying with the idea of helping PRi with her ridiculous rent, and moving in until the end of the lease. Renting was not my first choice though, but it will cut down on some costs for PRi, and will give us a better idea of how we are as roommates. A smarter decision I think for now than actually buying a condo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home