Saturday, April 05, 2008

Being orange and cursing red

I have to admit I was a little scared yesterday. Full of comfort food, but scared.

PRi and I restarted our tradition of spontaneous getaways. Really spontaneous. We decided.....Wednesday??...that Friday afternoon we were going to spend the day going for ice cream. In Cochrane. Well, why not? Both of us were off work, there was a full tank of gas in the car, and we both had very long and frustrating weeks. I purposely left my passport at home so I wouldn't get into financial trouble by spending all my "New York" money early. We got into the car and drove.

Ahh, the freedom. It was a good day to drive. Not too sunny, but no rain nor snow either. The roads were great, the tunes were fantastic, my Luxor mug kept my tea hot all the way to the Donut Mill. Mmmm....Donut Mill. Good times. There were no Oilers there this time, Fiz! LOL It was at the Donut Mill that the decision was made to have lunch in Calgary. Originally the plan was to bypass Calgary altogether, but lunch sounded like a good idea at the time......

After lunch we drove the construction-clogged streets out of Calgary. I am ashamed to be impressed with the intensity of which they approach LRT expansion. They are hugely in debt because of it, but people in West Edmonton or Millwoods wouldn't be waiting long for an LRT if we took the same initiative. But anyways...

So here I am driving into Cochrane, ready for some old fashioned world-renowned ice cream, and do you think I could remember how I got there the first time? Under the circumstances you wouldn't either. Not that Cochrane is a big place to get lost in....but whatever. Needless to say it was easy enough to figure out, and soon PRi and I were sitting on a park bench in the sunshine enjoying our much needed treat. Mmm.....


I am totally blaming PRi for our next decision....LOL. She brought a pint of ice cream back to a co-worker in Calgary. How do we get there? we ask her......just take a road that connects from 1A to McLeod. The easiest is 17th Ave. Yeah, 17th Ave SW. Good call on that. PRi and I had muttered about driving through Calgary the entire time we drove through Calgary. But the muttering intensified when we discovered we were on the Red mile.

Boo.

We locked our car doors. Hahahaha it was also rush hour when we finally started our journey home. Boo. I think it deserved another stop at the Donut Mill. And of course another not so spontaneous spontaneous ice cream getaway in May. But next time.......we're not going to drive in the city.















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home