Friday, July 27, 2007

I'm old

I feel like I'm getting old, and I don't like it. Well, who doesn't really, unless you are 14 and wishing you were legal or at least older so people would realize that indeed you are right about everything. You're really as old as you feel, age is just a number, add you're own cliche here and so on. But seriously.

I went to K-Days today, or Capital Ex or whatever you choose to call it. First time in I think 3 years since I've been. I had my plan of what I wanted to do, and I was not going to spend all day there either. I haven't been there for a whole day in a very long time, and that was when a whole bunch of us would get together and shop and ride all the rides a million times until the fireworks. Then we'd ride some more because everyone would go home after the fireworks were done. Yeah, those were the days. And it didn't really cost so much either, unless you wanted to buy stuff in the Agricom and lug it around with you for the rest of the day. The cold Root beer stand had cold Root beer for cheap. The lemonade stand had cheap but tasty lemonade. You could share one order of curly fries or one of the BBQ sandwiches between 3 people. You could play Skeeball for a buck. Life was good.

But today was a much different story. Maybe it's because I'm out of touch with things now that I'm more grown up. It's very possible. I haven't been there in a while, perhaps things are different now. The target crowd even seems different. At least that was my perspective, and it may be entirely incorrect. But maybe it's because I'm getting old.

I had been there barely more than 5 hours today and it cost me nearly $200. And all I have to show for it is a stamp on my hand, a validated LRT ticket, and a bag of mini-donuts. Devin and I were at least able to get on 5 rides for a low low price of $50 as we shared ride tickets between us. It would have been twice the price to "ride all day". And the 5 rides should have been 4 but one of the operators forgot to scan our ticket pass. Woot!

Mind you, a large chunk of money was spent on grown-up things like real food, Dream Home lottery tickets, parking at HUB, and Groceries for Life.

So I come home with a rather emptier wallet and thankful that I don't have a sunburn (yay SPF 50!) My hair is dishevelled, my hands are sticky and my feet are tired and swollen. My dusty clothes that were picked for comfort in this weather and not for style were quickly replaced by pyjamas. I really did have a great time today, despite feeling like I'm falling apart.

But now I remember why I haven't gone for the last few years.


1 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Keep in mind, it's all in perspective. Did Disneyland get better as you got older? (not that Disneyland costs a significant amount less, but I think you know where I'm going with this)

I don't think it's that you're getting old, you've just matured enough to see the value in things. Money, time, and friends. You're still young!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home